The two questions I still receive weekly from clients is...1) Is Facebook going away and 2) Is Facebook going to start charging. My answer is always a resounding NO on both accounts.
Now that Facebook is going public, they recently revealed their latest statistics for their S1 Filing for its upcoming IPO. Facebook is about to raise $5 billion from investors.
I would say that Facebook doesn’t appear to be struggling for cash, since they have recently purchased Instagram for $1 billion to purchase its mobile photo app business and Microsoft $550 million for 650 patents (that it recently bought off Yahoo)
Facebook’s Growth not Slowing
The graph below from Facebook seems apparent that its growth is not slowing anytime soon and with over 7 billion people on the planet it still has a lot of headroom for future growth.
With the numbers above and the stats I list below, I am astounded when I see businesses NOT using Facebook to market their business.
Some interesting stats from Facebook.
- Monthly active users now total 901 million (up from 680 million a year ago)
- One in 7.7 people in the world have a Facebook account.
- Daily active users are up to 526 million (up from 372 million last year)
- Monthly mobile users now total 488 million
- Eighty-three million monthly active users accessed Facebook solely from mobile in the month ending March 31, 2012
- 300 million photos are uploaded to the site each day
- 3.2 billion Likes and Comments are posted daily
- Hosts 125 billion friendships
- Revenue for the first quarter of 2012 was $1.058 billion, up from $731 million last year
- Facebook expects to raise $5 billion in its IPO
- Facebook’s estimated value will be close to $100 billion after the IPO
- Facebook paid Instagram the equivalent of $1.01 billion for its business
- Facebook will pay Instagram a $200 million termination fee if government authorities prevent the acquisition from being completed
- If Facebook increased its current revenue rate it will make from $4.69 to $4.81 on each of its 901 million users each year
- Facebook hosts 42 million “Pages” with 10 or more likes
- There are currently 9 million Facebook “apps”
- Facebook owns 774 of its own US patents
- Facebook bought an additional 650 patents from Microsoft for $550 million
- Zynga the online games company (which includes Farmville) contributes 15% of Facebook revenue
- Facebook currently has 3,539 full-time employees